Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Don't know what gift to buy? Have you asked our Father?

"And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they KNOW his voice." (John 10:4) "My sheep HEAR my voice, and I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:27)

Do you know the Father's voice? Do you know the different ways that He communicates to you? Do you know that His first language doesn't appear to be English? Do you seek to hear Him daily? Since He is referred to as Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6) among countless others, wouldn't it be important to hear what He has to say in any given situation? Yes, there are those that believe He doesn't speak to people anymore because we have His written word. I can't seem to locate scripture to support that doctrine. However, from Genesis to Revelation we have scripture that is inspired of God (2 Timothy 3:16) that supports the ways in which He communicates to us. It also indicates that He is the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. (Hebrews 13:8)

Two years ago, a friend of mine sent her daughter to visit with us. I asked the Lord what He wanted me to teach while she was here. He told me to teach them how to hear His voice. I told Him that He would need to help me since I have trouble in that area myself. It has been quite the journey from that point on.

I was going to town to meet a friend for her birthday lunch and wanted to get her something. I told my Father that I wanted to bless her, but knew He wanted to bless her more than I did. I asked Him what I could get for her and He told me white sheets. At that moment, in my heart, I told Him that I didn't know what size bed she had. He answered, "queen". I told Him that I would like a "word" for her since this was such a personal item and it wasn't like she was a newlywed. Isn't it funny? Or maybe it isn't...I ask a question and then I want to argue or debate with what I heard Him say. Here is the word that I received to give to her, "Tell her that through Christ, I see her pure, righteous, and holy. The sheets are a reminder for her to rest in Me." That was good!!

Once we met, I gave her the gift bag. She pulled the tissue out and began laughing. I told her that I prayed about what to get her and this was what the Lord told me. I then gave her the word that He gave for her. She began to tell me that when she would make her bed, she would think how nice it would be to have new sheets. She never asked God for them. I reminded her of Psalms 37:4. You see, God gave her the desires of her heart. What a blessing those white sheets were to the both of us! She was given the desires of her heart, and I received confirmation that I was hearing His voice.

There are other practical ways to knowing whether you are hearing His voice. When the phone rings, ask the Holy Spirit who is calling before you answer. (can't use caller id!) Sunday before last, I "thought" about asking the Holy Spirit to tell me what color shirt our pastor would be wearing that morning. I saw a red shirt. We get to church and he is wearing a red shirt. TC and I have done this several times recently. 

Why is it important to know His voice? How does one have a growing, deeper relationship with anyone if communication isn't a two-way street? He told us that He would never leave us or forsake us. So that we may boldly say, the Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me. (Hebrews 13:5-6) I don't want to miss anything that He is trying to tell me, regardless if He chooses to communicate to me through the voice in my heart; His written word; a vision; a dream; or any other biblical method.  He tells us that the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day. (Proverbs 4:18) I need to know that I stay on that path. I need to know what obstacles are in front of me or what potholes to avoid. He told us that the Holy Spirit would speak the things that he hears, and would show us things to come. (John 16:13) Gotta know His voice, especially in the times that we are heading for. We shouldn't look like the wicked whose way is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble. (Proverbs 4:19) My husband puts it this way, "we shouldn't be like a fish out of water, flopping around."

Be strengthened with might by His Spirit in your inner man. Draw nearer to Him and let us walk by faith, which is pleasing to Him! Try Christmas shopping, hearing His voice. It will put a new, valuable dimension on Christmas shopping when you include Him!

Happy Spirit-filled shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment